Homepage New to Holland
New to Holland   Dutch government immigration website

Legal stay in the Netherlands

You can come to the Netherlands for different reasons. For example to live, work, study, or to visit family. If you come to The Netherlands you will need a visa and /or residence permit to enter and stay in the Netherlands.

You can apply for a visa at the Dutch embassy or consulate in foreign countries. Depending on the purpose of your stay, your visa application will be dealt with by either the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the Immigration and Naturalisation Service.

You can apply for a residence permit at the Immigration and Naturalisation Service.

More about visa and residence permits.


Your personal checklist

If you fill in your profile, you will see a list of subjects that are relevant for you, with links to information from the organizations concerned.

Go to the checklist